It's the annual state sales tax holiday on sales of hurricane-preparedness items and supplies. You will not have to pay taxes on certain items on the first $1,500 of the sales ...
Authorities with the New Orleans Police Department said they obtained an arrest warrant for Kemond Pierre, 22, after a 25-year-old man was critically injured in the shooting in the 2100 block of Springbrook ...
The epicenter for the extremely powerful quake was located in the Sea of Okhotsk, just to the west of the Kamchatka Peninsula, and about 600 kilometers (nearly 375 miles) underground. The quake was felt for five minutes in the region, Russia's Ria Novosti news agency reported. Many people ran into the streets as the temblor shook. No tsunami warnings were issued in the quake's ...
-- West Feliciana Parish sheriff's deputies arrested a Louisiana State Penitentiary security officer accused of trying to get narcotics through an Angola inmate, a spokesman for Sheriff J. Austin Daniel said Wednesday. Justin Darrel Nettles, 26, 160 Cedars Lane, Crosby, Miss., met a man he thought was a relative of the inmate, but the man actually was an undercover detective offering a ...
The southbound Causeway then opened from about 4:15 p.m. to about 5 p.m before officials said they needed to close the southbound lanes again in order to pull the car out of the ...
80.2°F Partly Cloudy
Winds: From the SW at 3.0 MPH
Because I Said So
Because I Said So is a desperate comedy whose frequently acute insights into tense, but loving mother-daughter relationships is constantly hamstrung by ill-advised forays into physical humor and too much reliance on Diane Keaton's mania. Keaton trades a little too heavily ... ...
An Arizona jury Thursday said it was unable to reach a unanimous agreement and would be unable to decide what penalty Jodi Arias should receive for killing her ...
On Wednesday a neighbor caught a thief cutting copper wiring from a utility pole and called police. A quick look down the street indicates it's not the first time it's ...
The busy intersection of Louisiana Avenue and Hwy. 7 will become an interchange with on- and off-ramps. The city hopes it will spur ...
Delegates to the annual meeting of the Boy Scouts of America made a monumental statement Thursday, voting to allow openly gay youths to join ...
(Credit: Wikimedia Commons) In the latest move by Louisiana to plow ahead with looser gun laws, the state legislature passed a measure that would criminalize journalists for publishing information about gun owners. ...
We must define the nature and scope of this struggle, or else it will define us. Neither I, nor any President can promise the total defeat of terror. What we must do is dismantle networks that pose a direct danger.
The U.S. president was speaking on his administration's counter terrorism policy.
Hilton San Diego Airport/Harbor Island
The hotel is easy to locate although coming off Highway 405 South there is no indicattion that the Downtown exits ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
The Boy Scouts of America National Council has resolved to accept gay members. Do you agree with this policy?
New Orleans SunNew Orleans Sun – Headlines making the News in New Orleans
The New Orleans Sun is essentially a local New Orleans newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for New Orleans, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of New Orleans, Louisiana, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the New Orleans Sun.
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana - Police have arrested Akein Scott, a 19-year-old suspect in the Mother's Day shooting in the US city of New Orleans that injured 19 people, including two 10-year-old kids.
The teenager suspect was taken into custody Wednesday night from the Little Woods section of eastern New Orleans, police department spokeswoman Remi Braden said
He was identified from CCTV footage of the attack, the police said.
The video showed him running from the scene as the crowd scattered in all directions soon after the shooting.
The spokeswoman gave no further details as the police was yet to find a possible motive behind the shooting
The suspect was arrested after days of massive search operation during which Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas also urged to surrender at a news conference Monday
"We would like to remind the community and Akein Scott that the time has come for him to turn himself in," Serpas said, warning the teen that "we know more about you than you think we know".
Police had offered a $10,000 reward in the case, and investigators received several tips after images from the surveillance camera were released.
Serpas said Scott has had a criminal history that includes charges for possessing narcotics and a firearm and resisting arrest. ...
- Drone strikes are legal and extend to US citizens as well, says Obama
- Two civilians among 13 dead in Pakistan car bomb
- Kerry holds talks with Israeli and Palestinian officials
- Meeting of Syrian opposition leaders begins in Istanbul
- Condom handout at Russian WWII monument slammed
- Kids exposure to porn may cause risky sexual behaviour
- Schools urged to provide 1 hour of daily physical activity to all pupils
- Sad Story Of Fulani Women Children
- Illinois Bans Abstinence-Only Sex Ed ‘In Fantasy Land We Teach Our Kids Abstinence’
- Photos Stockholm riots continue leave schools cars burned
- First look of D-Day movie unveiled in Mumbai
- No hatred between Mayers former girlfriends
- George Michael didnt try to commit suicide by throwing himself from car says pal
- Prince Harry names himself ginger queen
- Taylor Swift likes smart comfortable wear
- Bayou Country Superfest Schedule
- Man faces battery and resisting arrest charges
- Republican prompts inquiry into party finances
- Thieves hit church steal 300lb. safe and cash
- Thousands owed to City of Sorrento
- Diversion of flight fails to save passenger from Ireland
- Britain sends up fighters as Pakistani plane diverted
- Cambodias Booming New Industry Orphanage Tourism
- Pakistan Airlines flight diverted in U.K. - CNN
- Two men arrested after RAF Typhoon fighter jets are scrambled to escort Pakistan Airlines passenger plane to Stansted
- Foreign policy impotence gripping U.S.
- Here’s a chance to ease the misery of fistula
- A new response in the war on terror
- Good news on health costs
- Put a Spotlight on African Women’s Reproductive Rights
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest New Orleans Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Sales tax holiday this weekend for hurricane supplies
- Gunman sought in Algiers shooting
- Russias Far East rocked by powerful quake
- Louisiana State Penitentiary officer arrested on narcotic charge www.privateofficer.com
- DOTD Causeway open in both directions