Tropical depression two is in the southern Bay Of Campeche moving west-northwest at 9 mph with maximum sustained winds of 35 mph and is expected to become a tropical storm late Wednesday night. By Thursday night the storm will move inland and quickly weaken over the mountainous terrain in southern ...
U.S. President Barack Obama followed in the footsteps of past U.S. leaders with a speech Wednesday at Berlin's iconic Brandenburg Gate that a senior administration official said would ask Russia to join the United States in slashing its supply of strategic nuclear ...
Skeptics who have long theorized that TWA Flight 800 was brought down by sinister forces will get a fresh surge of energy when a new documentary attempts to disprove that the 1996 crash was ...
Afghan President Hamid Karzai speaks during a joint news conference with NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen following a security handover ceremony at a military academy outside Kabul June 18, ...
New Orleans police said 15-year-old Shanna Rodgers was last seen about 10 p.m. Monday in her home in the 4600 block of Gabriel Drive. Rodgers' mother told officers she checked on her daughter, but she was not in her ...
83.0°F Mostly Cloudy
Winds: From the West at 4.0 MPH
Man on a Ledge
If you knew nothing about the movie and just happened to glance at the title, you might think that Man on a Ledge is some kind of metaphor. But, no, it is indeed quite literal, referring to the fact that, for nearly the entirety of the film, there is a man standing on a ledge. ... ...
"You killed friends?" Bulger attorney Hank Brennan shot. "Yes," replied prosecution witness John Martorano. "Families?" "Yes." "Strangers?" "Yes." "Innocent people?" "Yes," said Martorano, who has admitted to 20 murders and who earlier served 12 years in prison on a government deal for his cooperation in the case ...
Trent Thornton hurled seven efficient innings and Brian Holberton homered Tuesday in North Carolina's 4-2 College World Series win over Louisiana State. Thornton, a freshman, allowed two runs on nine hits and overcame four walks while Colin Moran chipped in with three hits, an RBI and two runs scored as the top-seeded Tar Heels eliminated LSU. With the victory, North Carolina advances to ...
The New Orleans Police Department said Jeremy Wilcox was pulled over in July by a St. John Parish sheriff's deputy because he was driving a truck without a license plate. When he ran a check on Wilcox's driver's license, the deputy found out there was an arrest warrant out for Wilcox in St. Charles Parish, where he issued a bad check for $2,505 in September ...
FROM IMPLEMENTING POLICE DETAIL REFORMS. MAYOR MITCH LANDRIEU ASKED A FEDERAL JUDGE FOR GUIDANCE, BECAUSE THE CITY IS NOW REQUIRED - UNDER A CONSENT DECREE - TO REFORM HOW THE NOPD MANAGES AND COORDINATES OFF DUTY PAID DETAILS. DURING THE RECENTLY ENDED LEGISLATIVE SESSION STATE LAWMAKERS PASSED LAWS DEALING WITH PAID DETAILS THE CITY SAYS CANNOT BE IMPLEMENTED. the law prohibits the officer of ...
After the Tar Heels got blown out by North Carolina State and the Tigers lost a heart-breaker to UCLA Sunday, the No. 1 and No. 4 overall seeds squared off Tuesday afternoon in ...
Our nuclear programmes are completely transparent. But we are ready to show greater transparency and make clear for the whole world that the steps of the Islamic Republic of Iran are completely within international frameworks. The sanctions are unfair, the Iranian people are suffering, and our (nuclear) activities are legal. These sanctions are illegal and only benefit Israel.
Iran's president-elect was speaking after his historic election victory.
Hilton Waikoloa Village Resort
Tropical gardens, salt water lagoons, exotic wildlife, two championship golf courses, a full service health spa, eight tennis courts, racquetball, ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Should tax havens be forced to lift their shroud of secrecy?
New Orleans SunNew Orleans Sun – Headlines making the News in New Orleans
The New Orleans Sun is essentially a local New Orleans newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for New Orleans, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of New Orleans, Louisiana, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the New Orleans Sun.
At least one person was killed and 77 injured in an explosion and fire at a petrochemical plant in Indian-American governor Bobby Jindal's home state of Louisiana in southern US.
"This has been a tragic incident," said Republican Jindal Thursday, during a briefing near the plant in Geismar, part of a heavily industrial region known as "Cancer Alley," between capital Baton Rouge and the state's biggest city, New Orleans.
Some environmental advocates cited by the Chicago Tribune said Thursday's explosion should draw attention to hazards in a region once known as "Bhopal on the bayou."
The Bhopal disaster in December 1984 at the Union Carbide India Limited (UCIL) pesticide plant in Bhopal in India, is considered the world's worst industrial disaster. Over 500,000 people were exposed to methyl isocyanate gas and other chemicals.
The corridor between Baton Rouge and New Orleans is particularly dense with refineries and petrochemical plants, the Tribune said.
The surrounding region is the most prone in the nation to toxic oil spills and releases, according to US Environmental Protection Agency records.
Last year, the EPA region including Louisiana was second in the nation in toxic accident reports. ...
- Obama welcomes Iran's election of moderate president
- Widespread anti-graft protests rock Brazil
- No breakthrough in talks between UK and Ecuador over Assange
- Gaddafi's son to stand trial in Libya in August
- Shenzen to be first Chinese city to begin carbon trading
- Google spending $7mn to fight child pornography
- Dads rely on Google to solve childrens problems Survey
- Exposure to high pollution levels during pregnancy may double risk of having autistic kids
- Miley Cyrus and Chris Brown named worst celebrity role models for kids
- Parenting and home environment can influence kids health
- Alcohol more dangerous than weed Miley Cyrus
- Max George single ready to mingle
- Jackie Chan admires Bollywood welcomes Indo-Chinese Cine collaboration
- Kesha likes showing off legs
- Williams jealous of Styles
- Caretaker booked in death of toddler
- Gun-toting woman wanted for intersection tirade
- Baton Rouge Film Commission launches rebrand
- Early morning blaze destroys BR duplex
- Assessment results show SU’s teachers strong in the classroom
- Intl Seminar on Journalism and Tourism Concludes Discussions
- Egypt tourism minister resigns over Luxor governors terror links
- Union of Concerned Scientists Northwest Airlines Asks Clear Channel to Pull Science Groups Anti-Nuclear-Weapons Ad in Minneapolis Airport
- AIRSHOW-UPDATE 1-Airbus wins order from SriLankan Airlines
- Stocks climb from one-month low Airlines gain CSR drops
- Bait And Twitch Vice Magazine Suicide Glamour And Not Staying Quiet
- Letters Not the Same Slippery Slope
- Is Narcissism Always Inevitable in Leadership
- Redundant in Israel on New Years Day
- Shame on our Media
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest New Orleans Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Wednesday Exact Weather forecast Tracking the tropics
- Our values won Obama says in Berlin
- Was TWA Flight 800 crash accidental
- Afghanistan suspends security pact talks with U.S. amid Taliban peace process
- Police search for missing New Orleans East teen