BATON ROUGE, LA - Several groups will gather Saturday to help clean up Baton Rouge. They hope you’ll want to pitch in some help, too. The CommuniTyler Organization along with the Center for Planning Excellence (CPEX), Keep Baton Rouge Beautiful, (KBRB), and Waste Management of Baton Rouge have joined together to pick up litter and trash in Old South Baton Rouge. Volunteers will be ...
INDEPENDENCE, LA (WAFB) - Authorities said a 15-year-old girl may be facing charges after driving without a license and losing control of a car in a crash that left a 10-year-old girl dead Monday afternoon. The crash happened on LA 1054 just north of LA 40 in Independence around 4:30 p.m. The victim's name was not released. Louisiana State Police said the teen was driving a 2004 ...
Scotlandville, LA (NBC33) - People who live in the University Place subdivision were promised a settlement to move them away from the North Wastewater Treatment Plant. Four months later, they have not seen a thing. "The community is still, basically, in the dark on what's taken place and what's happening," Greg Mitchell said, "and this process should not be that ...
feet and neck and left to die GONZALES - Ascension Parish Sheriff deputies are investigating a decaying animal that was bound at its mouth, feet and neck and left to die. "We take these crimes seriously," said Chief Tony Bacala. "We are reviewing the case as we speak to see what we can do." Bacala is asking for the public's help for any tips leading to the dog ...
entergy GONZALES- An equipment failure left thousands of people without power in East Baton Rouge and Ascension Parishes. Electricity services were cut about 5:20 p.m. Monday, according to ...
Man on Wire
The subject of James Marshs engrossing documentary Man on Wire is so good that its a wonder no one has thought to make a film about it before. Its not that the story is in any way a secret (on the contrary, it made international headlines in August of 1974), but it is quite possible ... ...
entergy GONZALES- Most power has been restored to people after an evening of trouble in the area. More than 20,000 Entergy customers lost their utilities Monday night. People in the Southdowns, Old Jefferson and Shenandoah areas of Baton Rouge got power restored. Others in Ascension Parish were still without electricity, but crews had tackled the powerless numbers considerably. Still, ...
vehicles BATON ROUGE- Tuesday, expect to see area police officers checking for seat belts. The annual Click It or Ticket campaign begins. People not wearing the required safety device can expect a citation. According to crash data, half of the people killed in wrecks were not buckled-up. Louisiana law requires everyone in a vehicle to wear a seat belt. ********Follow the publisher of this ...
crossing DENHAM SPRINGS- Lawmakers backed a plan that could fuel the development of a planned shopping center in Livingston Parish. The Louisiana Senate approved using state money for infrastructure improvements and bond payments for Juban Crossing. The development is going at the intersection of I-12 and Juban Road. The project has been delayed but developers have said the first phase ...
parents GONZALES- More experts suggest a state law needs to be changed, so drivers have a clearer understanding of the proper way young children should be restrained in car seats. ...
Bayou Corne, LA (NBC33) - Governor Bobby Jindal issued an ultimatum to Texas Brine on Monday: buy out evacuated residents from their homes, or risk losing every permit the state issued it. Gov. Jindal issued an executive order, telling the state Department of Conservation to investigate Texas Brine's financial condition. Since it has not made any offers after promising to quickly move ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Hilton Baynunah Tower
The drive from Abu Dhabi International Airport was about 40 kilometres. We arrived into the city, and out along the ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
New Orleans SunNew Orleans Sun – Headlines making the News in New Orleans
The New Orleans Sun is essentially a local New Orleans newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for New Orleans, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of New Orleans, Louisiana, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the New Orleans Sun.
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana - Police have arrested Akein Scott, a 19-year-old suspect in the Mother's Day shooting in the US city of New Orleans that injured 19 people, including two 10-year-old kids.
The teenager suspect was taken into custody Wednesday night from the Little Woods section of eastern New Orleans, police department spokeswoman Remi Braden said
He was identified from CCTV footage of the attack, the police said.
The video showed him running from the scene as the crowd scattered in all directions soon after the shooting.
The spokeswoman gave no further details as the police was yet to find a possible motive behind the shooting
The suspect was arrested after days of massive search operation during which Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas also urged to surrender at a news conference Monday
"We would like to remind the community and Akein Scott that the time has come for him to turn himself in," Serpas said, warning the teen that "we know more about you than you think we know".
Police had offered a $10,000 reward in the case, and investigators received several tips after images from the surveillance camera were released.
Serpas said Scott has had a criminal history that includes charges for possessing narcotics and a firearm and resisting arrest. ...
- India and China agree to boost trade and paper over border differences
- Former Pakistani military dictator Musharraf granted bail
- Over 60 killed in Iraq terror attacks
- 23 militants of Hezbollah group killed in clash with Syrian rebels
- Fergie Premier League manager of year
- Justin Bieber teams up with Child Hunger Ends Here campaign
- Childhood ADHD could lead to obesity in adulthood
- Prenatal exposure to traffic linked to respiratory infection in kids
- More time in gym class lowers obesity risk in kids
- Oklahoma City faces second deadly tornado in 13 years
- Justin Bieber booed at award function
- Kesha drops underwear at awards ceremony
- Ke$ha nearly flashes butt at Billboard awards
- Founding member of The Doors Ray Manzarek dies at 74
- Maarty Broekman wants to work with Alesha Dixon
- Volunteers need to help keep Baton Rouge beautiful
- Crash involving unlicensed teen driver leaves 10-year-old dead
- Frustration from lack of communication about sewer buyouts
- Deputies investigating case of dumped dead dog
- Equipment failure causes thousands to lose power
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- Chiranjeevi offers wide opportunities to foreign film producers in India
- Civil Aviation Minister takes action against erring DGCA officers
- Mexicos tourism sector goes up
- GAFFNEY The night that all the lights go out
- SOLOMON Chilling one reporters sources
- EDITORIAL Mr. Obama and his scandals
- DEAN The truth about big government
- EDITORIAL A voice for the goose
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest New Orleans Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Okla. Medical examiner expects more bodies
- Jefferson City doctor who received emergency suspension allowed back in medicine
- Delgado baseball team avoids Oklahoma tornado
- Merging Could Secure The Future of Health Care in Jefferson Parish
- Did New Orleans exploit the Dalai Lama