NEW YORK - Yahoo promised "not to screw it up" as it formally announced its acquisition of the popular Tumblr blogging platform for $1.1bn in cash, giving the company a much-needed base in social media to reach a younger generation of users. The relaxed wording of the memo for one of the internet giant's biggest acquisitions was echoed in the memo sent by David Karp, Tumblr's 26-year-old ...
Australian Test batsman David Warner is expected to plead guilty during Cricket Australia hearing over his recent Twitter rant with two prominent journalists. Senior Code of Behaviour Commissioner, Justice Gordon Lewis, will hear the case via teleconference. According to news.com.au, Warner faces sanction ranging from a fine, suspension, reprimand or counseling after being reported under CA's ...
Former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin took to Facebook over the weekend to express her skepticism of global warming. Palin argued that global warming was not happening, pointing that it was snowing in Alaska in May. According to the Huffington Post, she wrote in a post on her Facebook page 'global warming my gluteus maximus'. In her Facebook argument, Palin confuses weather with climate, a ...
The 2013 Yellow Social Media Report has analyzed that a growing number of Australians are using social network at an addictive rate wherever they can, even in toilet cubicles! According to the study, three out of every five internet users are accessing these sites more than five times a day, making it a total of seven hours a day. In a report by News.com, the study found that the time spent by ...
WASHINGTON -- A non-profit technology company based in Kenya has created a wireless internet router that it says will help people living in places where electricity is spotty and internet service is unreliable. Founded in early 2008, Ushahidi is known primarily for its open-source software applications, but is now launching its first piece of hardware, called the BRCK. One of the BRCK's ...
95.1°F Mostly Cloudy
Kung Fu Panda 2 [Blu-Ray]
In the inevitable, but mostly enjoyable sequel Kung Fu Panda 2, Jack Black reprises his role as Po, a roly-roly panda-turned-Dragon Warrior, and there is probably no actor working today who is better at conveying boundless enthusiasm and awe. His voice has the same crackling ... ...
The influential economist Albert O. Hirschman argues that customers can have a disciplining effect on companies and markets through their exit and voice behaviors. Instead of simply "quitting" a product, Hirschman urged customers to voice their complaints so companies could improve and learn. Hirschman would be a happy camper these days because social media puts a megaphone on the ...
Detectives on the hunt for two fugitive gangsters earlier this month turned to Facebook for clues. That's where they say they hit the jackpot: Photos of Mario Daniel McDonald and Joseph Wayne Edwards each holding a shotgun. McDonald, 23, and Edwards, 27, are prohibited from possessing firearms because they are convicted felons, the Marion County Sheriff's Office said in a statement ...
The Texas Emerging Technology Fund is expected to be allocated $50 million for the next biennium. The Texas Emerging Technology Fund is expected to be replenished with $50 million for the next two years, based on a new budget deal, the Austin American Statesman reports. Although this falls below Gov. Rick Perrys request of $69.5 million for the ETF for the next two years, the amount is still a ...
Pinterest has received its first significant update with how pinned images appear on the website. Called "Rich Pins", these images that are pinned contain a host of more information right from the originating image site, such as product purchase information or ingredient listings for recipes. Pinterest ...
Newsle co-founders Jonah Varon, left, and Axel Hansen, right, dropped out of Harvard to launch their news discovery startup in the Bay Area. Shown with them is full-stack engineer Chris Pol. Axel Hansen and Jonah Varon are building a startup based on who you know and who you want to know more about. The 22-year-olds landed $1.65 million in funding for Newsle this week from Advance Publications, ...
Nothing will ever completely replace playing the game I love, however I feel like I'm starting a new adventure and I'm genuinely excited about what lies ahead. I'm fortunate to have been given many opportunities throughout my career and now I feel it's my time to give back.
The world's best known footballer was speaking after formally announcing his retirement.
Sheraton Yankee Trader Hotel, Fort Lauderdale Beach
I had mixed feelings coming back to this old hotel. I had been staying there on-and-off for 20 years, and ...Keep reading
Have Your Say
Do you take the threat of North Korea seriously?
New Orleans SunNew Orleans Sun – Headlines making the News in New Orleans
The New Orleans Sun is essentially a local New Orleans newspaper, but with a national and international perspective, designed to provide readers with a one-stop shop for New Orleans, national US, regional, and world news coverage, weather and sports information, with live updates on breaking business stories, and what's happening in the financial markets.
The biggest advantage we have is that we are an online newspaper, which means we are constantly refreshing our stories as more and more information comes to hand. Often when a story breaks the initial details are sketchy.
We and our sources around the world work hard to gather more information, verify facts, and provide a perspective of the major stories. Expert opinion often accompanies our articles to better inform readers, and provide a more complete understanding
of the news we deliver.
Financial markets and business reports are regular features as we pin down what's happening, and constantly refresh stock market indice readings, dollar currency rates, and breaking business news reports. Our world sports coverage is a priority, as is our regional news.
We like to think if you're looking for breaking news out of New Orleans, Louisiana, the United States, or the world, you'll look for it first at the New Orleans Sun.
NEW ORLEANS, Louisiana - Police have arrested Akein Scott, a 19-year-old suspect in the Mother's Day shooting in the US city of New Orleans that injured 19 people, including two 10-year-old kids.
The teenager suspect was taken into custody Wednesday night from the Little Woods section of eastern New Orleans, police department spokeswoman Remi Braden said
He was identified from CCTV footage of the attack, the police said.
The video showed him running from the scene as the crowd scattered in all directions soon after the shooting.
The spokeswoman gave no further details as the police was yet to find a possible motive behind the shooting
The suspect was arrested after days of massive search operation during which Police Superintendent Ronal Serpas also urged to surrender at a news conference Monday
"We would like to remind the community and Akein Scott that the time has come for him to turn himself in," Serpas said, warning the teen that "we know more about you than you think we know".
Police had offered a $10,000 reward in the case, and investigators received several tips after images from the surveillance camera were released.
Serpas said Scott has had a criminal history that includes charges for possessing narcotics and a firearm and resisting arrest. ...
- Six Afghan policemen killed in Herat bombing
- Chinese boat with 16 fishermen freed by North Korea
- US president lauds Thein Sein for Myanmar reforms but urges end to violence against Muslims
- Genocide conviction of former Guatemala dictator overturned
- Dozens killed as tornado hits Oklahoma
- Justin Bieber teams up with Child Hunger Ends Here campaign
- Childhood ADHD could lead to obesity in adulthood
- Prenatal exposure to traffic linked to respiratory infection in kids
- More time in gym class lowers obesity risk in kids
- Oklahoma City faces second deadly tornado in 13 years
- Justin Bieber booed at award function
- Kesha drops underwear at awards ceremony
- Ke$ha nearly flashes butt at Billboard awards
- Founding member of The Doors Ray Manzarek dies at 74
- Maarty Broekman wants to work with Alesha Dixon
- Suspect in deadly bar fight surrenders to police
- PSC to revisit energy efficiency program debate
- Jindal Marine contractor plans $30M expansion
- Cleco sends crews to help in wake of OKC tornado
- 1300 new jobs coming to Louisiana due to $30m corporate expansion project
- Work starts on creation of new Dubai island
- New business jet Challenger 350 launched by Bombardier
- Chiranjeevi offers wide opportunities to foreign film producers in India
- Civil Aviation Minister takes action against erring DGCA officers
- Mexicos tourism sector goes up
- Search for extraterrestrial life goes on even without Kepler.
- Aesthetic path to enlightenment
- Narendra Modi is a bubble — and voters today are sharp Jitin Prasada
- Indias nowhere people The BJPs obstruction of enclave swaps with Bangladesh is hurting Indian citizens
- Bangladesh’s other workplace catastrophes
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Get the latest New Orleans Sun headlines delivered to your inbox.
- Weather service Okla. Tornado was EF5
- Cleco sends crew to help in wake of Oklahoma tornado
- AP Charlotte Bobcats to change team name to Hornets
- Judge gags attorneys witnesses relatives in Akein Scott case
- Police 17-year-old bicyclist killed Monday in St. Bernard Parish